Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Yarn Along


One of my friends, Rachel, has been blogging these glorious photos of her knitting work in stages and I asked her if I could join her in her weekly post. Apparently it's not just her, but a whole group of classy gals-with Ginny as their ring leader.

I'm not much of a knitter-(i can make a washcloth and a scarf, that's about it-think *square things*) but I have been crocheting quite a bit lately. Basically, any time I have to put my swollen feet up, I'm either illustrating, carving rubber stamps for my shop or crocheting.



I started this adorable little sweater last weekend. 
I'm fairly new at following patterns. My mom taught me a ton of stitches, and I've been crocheting for years, but I didn't know the names for any of the stitches, their abbreviations, or how to read a pattern.

Although it seemed to go smoothly for the most part, I ended up making it a little larger-which started out by accident (wrong gauge really..doh!) but then decided to continue it and make it for my 3 year old niece, who will fit it quite nicely.

I still have to do the sleeves and find the perfect buttons for it.
My nieces paternal great grandmother just passed away (Granny was one awesome woman!) and I'm told that she left a huge button stash-so I'm hoping to find some buttons from that collection for her.



Oh, and by the way, this sweet dresser is going to be our change table-It's the perfect height! All I have to do is add a cushion to the top.
(There are drawers, they're just already moved up to the baby room- I haven't moved the actual dresser yet.)



I'm debating at painting vs. refinishing. *neither of which will happen before the baby, I'm sure.*
I'm normally all for keeping old furniture in it's original state unless it's already been painted. But my sister told me that this would look neat with just the drawers painted, or everything painted BUT the top....

Any opinions? Either way, it's adorable!

4 comments:

  1. Aw, this little cardie is too sweet.
    I'm the other way round - I can pretty much only crochet the pot holders my mum taught me, but I might just have to get my head around it one day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I love that sweet cardigan, so cute. We need to trade skills because I can't get my head around crocheting - I've only managed a couple of giant granny squares.

    I love that dresser! Was it one of the kijiji finds? I kind of like it roughed up the way it is but I would vote for refinishing over painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only we could- We should've been neighbors!
    I've only attempted a few "round" knitted things (like hats) and they've turned out massive, or wonky.

    The dresser was my sister's. She had plans of refinishing or painting it one day, but didn't get the chance. And then when Granny (her husband's grandma) died, she had a lot of furniture, so they got rid of some of theirs to make room for some of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cardigan. I have yet to attempt to crochet an actual clothing item so I'm impressed. I vote with your sister about the dresser. painted. maybe even distressed? except for the top.

    ReplyDelete