Monday, December 19, 2011

Herbed No Knead Bread {Batter Bread}


I make this every once in a while in batches of two loaves, and it's usually gone within a day. If I'm lucky, I'll get a heel. Which sounds pathetic, but it's actually the best part!

This bread has the perfect crunchy crust to go with soups and stews. And if you should have the self control to let a few slices go stale, it makes amazing croutons!

You'll end up with a thick dough that is too moist to knead, but not as wet/runny as cake batter. It's sort of a cross between the two. I make ours in a stand mixer, but I have made it the old fashioned way with a mixing bowl and spoon. It's a little tiring on the arm, but hey, you get an extra slice of bread because you burned extra calories.

Here's what you need  for one loaf, but double it...really.

3 cups flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 pkg yeast
1 1/4 cup warm water
1/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp olive oil (or butter)
3 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 tbsp thyme
2 tsp garlic powder

Oiled/greased loaf pan.

Combine the warm water and yeast in a bowl and let sit/dissolve for a couple of minutes.
Then add the sugar and salt,
Stir the flour in slowly, then add the milk and herbs.
If you're using a stand mixer, let it run a few minutes to be sure it's well mix. If you're using a bowl and spoon...cry a little and get over it. It will be worth it. I promise.

Now let it rise for about 30 minutes.
Then divide into loaf pans and let rise an additional 30 minutes.
Bake for about 40 minutes at 375f.

When it's done, let it cool a little on baking racks before indulging. It slices better when it isn't piping hot. It will be worth the wait, I promise.

I like mine just as it is with nothing on it, but feel free to butter it or melt cheese on it, whatever way you might fancy! Enjoy:)


2 comments:

  1. Yuuuuuuum. I want some now. I love you, I love your bread, I love your sense of humour. Send me some bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the heel most of the time too...yum! Homemade bread is the best...I've never done herbed bread until lately. I bought a rosemary this summer that grew into a small bush (I'm thrilled) and have been adding it to my breads!!!

    ReplyDelete